Healthy snacks are a must in my life (when traveling or, indeed, every day…)
There’s nothing worse than hunger creeping up on you, and at the last minute, when you’re about to snap from being so hangry (hungry-angry), you realize you’re empty-handed. Now, to be fair, we don’t all need to have snacks between meals (everyone is different), and there’ll likely be days where you can easily go between meals with just herbal tea. But then there are always those days that a good little protein-hit mid-morning is exactly what you need. Don’t fret too much; just remember to always listen to your body and do what feels right for you. And for those days, healthy snacks are a must, keep these ideas in mind and these snacks on hand.
Here are my faves:
High-protein / low-sugar snacks
- My all-time favorite high-protein snack is biltong. This might be because my family is South African, but everyone (except vegans and vegos, of course) can fall in love with biltong too. It packs a high-protein punch per gram, and yes, it’s a little salty, so are your tears and big whoop. Just drink more water.
- Activated almonds or almond butter with blueberries and/or desiccated coconut.
- 1 boiled egg sprinkled with Himalayan salt, wrapped in cos lettuce with chopped cherry tomatoes and cucumber or pickles.
- Greek or natural yogurt with chia seeds and strawberries.
- A small portion of leftover dinner, e.g., a little chicken breast or leftover meat with a little salad.
- Green juice
- Dandelion ‘coffee’ with almond milk and an oaty chocolate vitality bar.
- Corn thins with almond butter and a tsp of honey or natural jam.
- Corn thins with avocado, tahini, and tomato.
- Avocado dip with carrot sticks.
- Hummous with carrot sticks.
- Homemade hot chocolate with boiling water, 1 tsp cocoa / raw cacao powder, stevia, and either a splash of almond milk or 1 tsp coconut oil for added richness.
- Blueberries topped with 1 tbsp almond butter and cinnamon.
- 1 pear or 1 apple sliced, spread with nut butter, and sprinkled with cinnamon.
- Baked pear or apple drizzled with natural yogurt and almond butter.
- Popcorn. The salty kind (not salty and sweet). In single-serve bags. #onehappygirl.
The best of the best snacks
- Like in the pic… strawberries with homemade bliss balls.
- Natural yogurt with a little stevia and a sprinkling of muesli and/or berries.
- Chia pudding (great to travel with. Is it a liquid? Is it a solid? Onwards through security, easy.)
- A little dark chocolate, preferably with coconut or nuts, sprinkled throughout for added good fats/protein.
- Green power smoothie with your fave super greens powder, coconut water, and banana. Blend and enjoy.
- Protein smoothie with pea, whey, or rice protein, almond milk, and frozen blueberries, topped with a little crunch, e.g., almonds or goji berries.
So now I’ve told you mine. What’s your favorite snack?